A Little History of Our Village
Ince is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated immediately to the east of the Stanlow Oil Refinery. It shares Ince and Elton railway station with the village of Elton, which it runs into.
The name Ince was first recorded in the Domesday Book as Inise, which is from the Primitive Welsh ïnïs, meaning island. The name refers to the village’s position on a low ridge in the marshlands around the rivers Gowy and Mersey.
Ince was an ancient parish in Eddisbury Hundred and became a civil parish in 1866. The civil parish was abolished in 1950, and absorbed into Ellesmere Port civil parish. The population stood at 443 in 1801, 422 in 1851 and 290 in 1901. According to the 2001 Census, it was recorded as having a population of 209.
The present civil parish was separated from Ellesmere Port in 1987, with smaller boundaries.
Leave a Reply